The ignorance of many right wingers never ceases to amaze me, especially when dealing with the subject of world religions. Allow me to bring you up to date on some currently popular right wing beliefs:
- Liberals want to destroy traditional heterosexual marriage and replace it with gay marriage.
- Liberals want to ban guns and let the Muslims rule the world.
- Liberals want to destroy all religion and replace it with atheism.
- Liberals believe we all came from monkeys.
- All Muslims from around the world are liberals.
- Jared Lee Loughner, the man who shot Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.), is a liberal because an acquaintence of his claimed he was an atheist and a pot head. Oh yeah, and because he said his favorite books were the Communist manifesto and Mein Kampf.
- Jared Lee Loughner, since they assume he was high on pot when he shot the congresswoman, is a good reason to ramp up the war on drugs even more.
- Jared Lee Loughner is NOT a reason to beef up gun laws. Absolutely not. In fact, according to right wingers, we need LESS gun laws so that getting a gun is even easier.
- Jared Lee Loughner is one more reason to ban non-christian music and video games.
*I want to point out that not all right wingers believe and think this way*
I can go on and on with this list, but I think I will stop there for now. Now, I dont need to remind you that anyone who takes consistency seriously will notice that there is a SERIOUS consistency problem in this list. Starting with the first claim of liberals wanting to destroy hetero marriage is absolutely,mind numbingly preposterous. This means that these right wingers actually think that ALL liberals are gay. To top it off, these right wingers also concider all Muslims to be liberals as well. Why do they think this? I think it is because they know Muslims are conservatives and they wish to distance themselves from them. Its almost as if they have redefined the word "conservative" to mean "everything that I personally believe to be right and true". So, obviously, the idea of "true" conservatism will differ from conservative to conservative. Apparently, to the hard core conservative, All Muslims want gay marriage, want guns banned, want evolution taught, and want all religion banned. This in and of itself speaks volumes of these certain right wingers lack of consistency in thought.
Jared Lee attacked a democratic rally. All of his victims were either active or potential members of the democratic party. By suggesting that Jared was a liberal is a kick in the nuts to those whom he killed and harmed. Also the hypocrisy when compared to the cherry picked equivocations is stomach turning. To suggest that since they *think* that he was stoned on marijuanna when he commited his assassination attempt, that we should ramp up the war on drugs... but, the very obvious fact that he easily purchased guns and used them to carry out his nefarious plot should not be used as fuel to create better gun laws is contemptuous. So, according to this logic, obvious facts should not be used in forming opinions, but assumptions should be strongly clung to as evidence for extreme decisions. I personally think that neither examples are good to use. I feel the war on drugs is useless and more and more gun laws merely erode our freedoms further. Canada has just as many guns, non-christian music and video games as America has, yet they dont have this problem. What do I think is the cause of Jared Lee and his act of murder? The deep seated hatred, ignorance and violence that continues to be pushed in our society. We are encouraged to hate atheists, christians, gays, Muslims, left, right, etc.. If we were more of a "social" society, then this type of attitude would decline.
Blogged by JEREMY
In her 1991 Nobel lecture, Gordimer makes a brilliant if veiled charge, using theistic language, that writers are more powerful with their words than religions are with their dogmas.